Flying of the Flag at Half-Mast
Operations and General Administration
Authorization: Board of Governors
Approval Date: Oct 1, 1979
Reformatted: Mar 30, 2001
To pay respect to deceased students, faculty and staff who worked and studied at the University of Saskatchewan.
To pay respect to the Sovereign, the Prime Minister of Canada, the Premier of the Province, or other distinguished persons as designated by the President, a Vice-President or the University Secretary.
The flag will be flown at half-mast in respect of all faculty, staff and students who die while an employee or student of the University of Saskatchewan. This includes part-time as well as full-time students, faculty and staff, as well as retired members of the University staff.
The flag will be flown at half-mast on the death of the Sovereign, the Prime Minister of Canada, the Premier of the Province, or other distinguished persons as designated above.
- The University Secretary will be informed of the death of any person for whom the flag should be flown at half-mast.
- The flag will be flown at half-mast:
- On the day of death of the deceased, if the information is received before 10:00 a.m., or on the day of the funeral if received after 10:00 a.m.
- For retired persons, on the day that notification of the death is received, or the day of the funeral providing that notification is received within 72 hours of the day of death. If no notification is received during this period, the flag would not be flown at half-mast.
- The flag used in all cases is the one located on the Thorvaldson Building. The University Secretary will make the necessary arrangements.
There are no other documents associated with this policy.
Contact Person: University Secretary