Authorization and Approval
Authorization: Board of Governors
Approval Date: May 7, 2004
Amended: Nov 7, 2017
As part of the University's commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment for all members of the University community, this policy is designed to control disruptions, nuisances, potential health hazards, and reduce the risk of personal injury and/or anxiety created by animals at the University of Saskatchewan.
Animals will not be permitted inside University buildings, vehicles or facilities, including University residences (except as indicated in housing agreements). All animals on the University grounds must be properly restrained (leash, carrier etc.) and under the care and control of their owner/guardian at all times. Owners/guardians must comply with all provincial and city laws pertaining to licensing and animal control.
The following animals are exempt from this Policy but must remain under care and control at all times:
- Research, teaching and other animals owned by the University
- Animals in areas where academic pursuits or clinical services require their presence (e.g. Veterinary Medicine)
- Service animals which assist their owners with disabilities
- Exhibit and demonstration animals
- Police service dogs
- Therapy animals
The University reserves the right to take any action it deems necessary in the enforcement of this policy.
- University grounds - the lands within the University's governance and control.
- Therapy animal - recognized St. John's approved therapy animal with appropriate ID.