Authorization and Approval
Authorization: Board of Governors
Approval Date: Sep 23, 1999
Reformatted: Mar 30, 2001
Amended: Nov 7, 2017
The objectives of this policy are to:
- demonstrate the University of Saskatchewan's commitment to the health and safety of the University community and to the protection of the general public and the environment.
- make the university premises safe and healthy for the campus community and its visitors,
- minimize the risk of injury and damage to property and the environment, and
- minimize the risk of violence and incidents of harassment.
The University of Saskatchewan provides a place of employment and learning that is as free as possible from recognized hazards. A safe and healthy environment is created and maintained through the provision of proper facilities, equipment, training, services, and by promoting safety consciousness. The Board of Governors shall meet these objectives through the assignment of duties and responsibilities to the President, Vice-Presidents, Associate Vice-Presidents, Deans, Associate and Assistant Deans, Department Heads, Heads of Administrative units, Principal Investigators, Managers, Supervisors, and all other employees in positions of authority.
Safety Resources is empowered by the University of Saskatchewan to take any action deemed necessary and appropriate to meet all health, safety and environmental legislative requirements. This may include entering any work place to do inspections, ensure compliance with the legislative requirements or to assist in an emergency. Safety Resources has the authority to stop any work or close any facility deemed necessary.
This policy is accomplished by:
- ensuring that all members of the University community are accountable for health, safety and environmental management within their areas of jurisdiction,
- establishing proactive risk reduction practices and policies,
- developing and implementing the University's safety policies and procedures,
- resolving health, safety and environment related incidents and concerns promptly,
- complying with federal, provincial, and municipal legislation and granting agency standards while working to establish exemplary practices,
- providing safety training, personal protective equipment (PPE), and safety devices,
- establishing and overseeing Occupational Health Committee and President's Advisory Committees,
- providing a safe workplace by appropriately designing, constructing, maintaining, and, as required, modifying University facilities, and
- maintaining Safety Resources which is mandated to administer the Health, Safety and Environmental Programs.
Principal Investigator - a member of faculty to whom graduate students, research assistants, research and post-doctoral fellows, and technicians report, who is engaged in research and who has control over research grants.
Legislative requirements - federal, provincial acts, regulations, standards and guidelines and municipal bylaws pertaining to health, safety and the environment.
Occupational health committee - a committee established pursuant to Part III and in accordance with Part IV of the Saskatchewan Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations respectively.
President's Advisory Committees - the committees established by the President to advise on matters such as Radiation Safety, Biosafety, Chemical Safety, Environmental Protection, and Personal Safety.
Further details can be obtained from Safety Resources.
If you have questions about this policy please contact:
Contact Person: Director, Protective Services and Safety Resources